Thank you for your interest in a position of Supervising Librarian I, Supervising Librarian II, Principal Librarian at the California State Library.
In order to be considered for these jobs, it is first necessary for you to take and pass a civil service examination
with a score that is among the highest of the applicants who take the test.
Along with submission of a detailed resume, completion of this supplemental application is the examination process.
This supplemental application solicits specific information about your experience and background that is directly
relevant to these jobs.
Please answer each question, clearly, concisely, and truthfully on the attached form. Failure to follow these instructions will result in elimination from the examination process.
Please note that there is no save function in this exam and it must be completed in one seating. We recommend that you review the questions and prepare your responses
before starting the exam.
There is no deadline for submission of your application materials. This examination process will be available
throughout the year. As vacancies occur, all individuals who have submitted their information and passed the
examination will be notified of the next steps to be considered for any available position.
The information you provide will be evaluated by a team of subject matter specialists who will rate your responses
on the quality and clarity of your writing as demonstrated by your responses, as well as the breadth and depth of
your relevant experience. You will be given an overall score on this supplemental application and this will
determine your placement on the list of those who pass the examination. You will be notified in writing of your
If you pass the examination, you may then apply for and be considered for individual job vacancies in this
classification. In addition, the Department may contact you directly as vacancies occur.
If you are selected to be considered for hire into a vacancy, you will be invited to participate in a comprehensive
hiring interview process consisting of the following:
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 654-0202.
We wish you luck in the process.
Please indicate the examination(s) you wish to take. You may apply for and take one, two, or three
examinations provided that you meet the minimum education and experience requirements for each classification.
Supervising Librarian I
Supervising Librarian II
Please describe your highest level of experience in each of the following library functions for Librarian:
1. Please rate your experience in creating and fostering a customer service focus in a library setting.
2. Please rate your knowledge and experience in establishing standard competencies among staff to ensure that staff members are evaluated equally and fairly.
3. Please rate your experience with the development and/or revision of library policies and procedures.
4. Please rate your experience in developing and maintaining a discrimination and harassment free work environment.
5. Please rate your experience in forming and/or working with teams or fostering teamwork among co-workers or work units.
6. Please rate your experience in developing and using conflict resolution strategies.
7. Please rate your experience in supervising other employees.
8. Please describe the methods you use to stay abreast of best practices and the latest trends in library services and technology, for example, any association affiliations, conferences, seminars attended, training attended or given, or any other resources utilized.
9. Please rate your experience managing a library budget.
10. Please rate your experience in developing and/or implementing strategic goals and objectives.
11. Please rate your skill and experience as a leader (as opposed to a manager).
12. Please rate your experience in the development, implementation, and or evaluation of library program criteria.
Please submit your current resume in .docx or .pdf format under 5 MB. Your resume must include your most recent
employment and because a standard state application is not requested at this time, the resume must also
complete "to" and "from" dates (month/day/year), time base including number of hours worked per week, job titles,
and relevant college degree completed
. Resumes received without this information will result in rejection of your
Click on the browse button to locate the file. If you have an older version of Word that only produces .doc files,
there are many free tools online to convert to PDF.