The State Library annually collects California Library Statistics, a compilation of statistical data from public libraries throughout the state. The State Library also produces an annual report of the population served by each California public library, titled Persons Served by California Public Libraries, according to the provisions of Education Code Section 18021.
Most Recent Statistics (FY 2017-18 data)
Full California Library Statistics are found on the California Library Statistics Portal.
Resources for Completing the Public Library Survey
California's 2018-19 Public Library Survey will be open for data input from September 9, 2019 to November 1, 2019.
- 18/19 Public Library Survey Instructions
- 18/19 Blank Survey Form (PDF)
- 18/19 Blank Survey Form (Excel)
- Counting Electronic Items Flowchart
- 18/19 Counting Successful Retrieval of Information for the California Public Library Survey