Career Online High School
The California State Library is currently accepting applications from California public libraries to participate in the Career Online High School Program.
Career Online High School is an educational service offered by Gale, a part of Cengage Learning, which offers adults the opportunity to earn an accredited high school diploma and credentialed career certificate at the same time. In this program offered by the California State Library, libraries receive support to offer free COHS scholarships in their communities. Please see the project information and requirements below.
Before you apply: Read the Project Information and Requirements document carefully.
Because you'll have to complete your online application in one session, we strongly suggest that you refer to the print version of the application and develop your answers before going online.
Application Deadline for New Programs
Monday, December 10, 2018, 5 PM
Each participating library receives:
- Career Online High School scholarships (libraries will request a specific number of scholarships and the State Library will allocate accordingly)
- Outreach materials and marketing support from Gale Cengage
- Intensive training and ongoing technical assistance
Selected libraries must provide:
- Staff time and expertise, to manage the COHS program at their libraries
- A matching scholarship/student enrollment for each scholarship funded by the State Library
- A program agreement form, signed by the library director.
We will consider a reduction in the matching scholarship requirement for your library, on a case-by-case basis. Factors that will be considered in granting reductions include: library size and per capita funding; high unemployment in service area; low educational attainment (i.e., number of people in service area with less than a high school diploma or equivalency); etc. Reductions can be requested as part of the online application process; you’ll be required to fund at least one scholarship.
Application for Additional Scholarships
Current programs can apply for additional COHS scholarships at least twice per year. The current deadline is Friday, January 11, 2019, at 5 pm.
For further information, please contact:
Library Programs Consultant
California State Library