Digital Concierge Program
The work of state government plays an important role in the history and culture of California. The Digital Concierge Program wants to help state agencies discover, connect, and share their unique stories.
MissionThe California State Library’s Digital Concierge Program is a content-creation, digitization, and digital preservation center dedicated to preserving and sharing the collections hidden throughout California state government. Digital Concierge collaborates with state departments to identify and showcase the most culturally significant, sought-after or at-risk parts of their collections and records, in addition to the collections held by the California State Library.
At Your ServiceIf you work for a California state agency and can answer yes to any of the following questions regarding your public records and collections, then the Digital Concierge Program may be able to help!
- Does your agency possess unique historical records, photographs, videos, recordings, reports, manuscripts, maps and other materials of cultural significance?
- Are your agency’s historical records hidden away in a filing cabinet or stored at a remote location? Are the collections at risk of damage or loss?
- Does your agency have cultural materials that are challenging to find, access, and share?
- Do you and your agency need help creatively displaying and exhibiting materials online?
- Are the records held by your agency unavailable anywhere else in California?
- Do you and your agency want to create digital copies of your most significant historical records but you don’t know where to start?
What We DoThe Digital Concierge Program:
- Consults with and advises state agencies regarding best practices and standards for the digitization and digital preservation of their culturally significant, sought-after, or at-risk collections and records.
- Facilitates digitization projects on behalf of state agency partners, including:
- Assisting with the identification, selection, and preparation of materials for digitization and online access.
- Managing digitization, quality assurance, and quality control workflows and processes to ensure the successful completion of digitization projects.
- Identifying and coordinating with vendors for outsourced digitization work.
- In-house digitization of selected materials – particularly rare or fragile materials – by trained program staff.
- Providing public online access to materials digitized through the Digital Concierge Program.
- Collaborates with state agency partners to highlight their work and share their stories with the public through platforms such as Google Arts & Culture.