California Library Directory
The information in the directories is drawn from annual reports submitted by California's public and county law libraries. The public library files are updated monthly.
(Documents in PDF format can be viewed with the Adobe Acrobat Reader.)
- CA Public Library Directory (PDF 329 KB) – This file contains location and service information for public main and branch libraries in California. Use to locate direct library services. (Updated 7/23/2015)
- CA Public Library Headquarters Directory (PDF 204 KB) – This file contains information about public library administrative headquarters. Not all locations provide direct library service. (Updated 7/23/2015)
- CA Public Library Map (location and contact information for public main and branch libraries in California.
- California County Law Libraries (PDF 604 KB) – This file contains location and service information for public county law libraries. (Updated 1/31/2015)
- California Library Directory 2008 – Print Version (PDF 3 MB) – This file is a snapshot (May 2008) of the directory information used to create the print version of the California Library Directory 2008. It is not updated; see files above for the most recent information. The file contains location and service information for public main and branch libraries in California listed by city as well as county law, academic and special library listings. It also contains additional information about the California State Library, the Library of California Board, the Library Construction & Renovation Board as well as associations, agencies and library schools in California.
Library Mail List (txt 48 KB) – A tab delimited text file of public library administrative headquarters mailing addresses, can be used with word processors as the source of a mail merge for labels and form letters. (Updated 7/23/2015)
If you are having trouble viewing the file, try downloading the file to your PC by right clicking on the link (control-click for Mac) and select "Save Target As...". Then use your system's text editor to open the file.
- Public Library Outlets (KML 781 KB) – A listing of 1,116 California public library outlets with spatial coordinates for each outlet. File contains jurisdiction name, outlet name, address, zip code, web site URL and telephone number. It may be used in a number of geographic software tools, including Google Earth.
- Rural Library Outlet List (PDF 323 KB) Defined in conjunction with the Gates Foundation in determining 316 Rural Library Buildings for the Rural Sustainability Project in 2005. At that time, NCES data was used, and those with "Metro Area" status and/or service population of 25,000 or more were removed. Some included here had no NCES data available and were agreed on between Gates and the California State Library. Since 2005, the list has been updated as library outlets have closed or opened.
- California Friends and Foundations (PDF 195 KB) A listing of California Public Library Friends and Foundations Organizations. (Updated 5/10/2006)