Visiting the California History Room
We are delighted that you are thinking about visiting us! You can drop by any time during our open hours. If you're wondering what to expect when you come by, you might find the information on this page helpful. You can also contact us directly with any specific questions or concerns you may have.
Suggested Visit Preparation
You are welcome to conduct research any time we're open, but if you want to prepare for your visit, here are some things you can do:
You May Wish to Bring
- A camera or phone with camera capability
- A flash drive
- A sweater or jacket
- Note-taking materials including pencils
- Quarters for copies (We can make change for up to $5.00)
Location and Hours
Monday – Friday, 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., excluding California state holidays.
You can reach the library via driving or public transit.
Fee-based street or garage parking is available.
Copying and Reproduction
In addition to permitting no-flash photography (please no tripods or personal scanners), we are proud to offer a number of self-serve copying options including the following:
- Digital Microfilm Scanners (Free digital copies)
- Digital Book Scanners (Free digital copies)
- Analog microfilm reader/printer (25 cents per page)
- Analog copy machine (15 cents per page)
Some of our rare materials have restricted copying but we offer the following services:
In addition to the State Library's general policies, we in the California History Section ask you to help us protect the collection and respect other patrons by following these guidelines:
- Storing all purses, bags etc. in our Reading Room lockers
- Not bringing food or drink into the Reading Room
- Using pencils instead of pens inside the Reading Rooms
- Silencing your cell phones and stepping outside the reading rooms when you conduct a call
- Following staff instructions regarding how and where to view/use materials
- Enjoying your research!
To use the majority of our materials, you will need to register as an in-house patron. This requires completing a short form and showing us a driver's license or other photo ID. Registration is valid for two years.