The California State Library welcomes your input in improving its website and online services.
Please take our short website survey to let us know how you use the current website, and what you would like to see in a redesigned version. Your comments and feedback will be factored into the new website's design and functionality.
Thank you very much for your time.
California Revealed Initiative
California Revealed is a State Library initiative to help California's public libraries, in partnership with other local heritage groups, digitize, preserve, and serve online historically significant Californiana (e.g., books, documents, audiovisual recordings). Participating libraries identify and select from their collections, create discovery metadata for the selected materials, and send materials together with associated metadata to a digital preservation service managed by the California Preservation Program (CPP).
- The CPP digital preservation service:
- inspects the condition of materials received from participating libraries
- confirms materials received against their associated metadata
- processes and sends materials to digitization service providers
- performs quality control on digital objects received from service providers
- uploads digital objects and their metadata to the California Revealed digital asset management system for online access
- provides digital preservation
See California Revealed for information on participation in the project.
Phase 1 of California Revealed, a planning phase, was completed in October 2016. The current phase, November 2016 forward, is focused on production and is dedicated to accomplishing digitization, digital preservation, and digital access goals identified in the first phase of the project.
- Phase I Kickoff Webinar (July 14, 2016), (Video)
- Phase I Copyright and Intellectual Property Webinar (July 15, 2016), (Video)
- Phase I Legal Issues Answering FAQs Webinar (August 26, 2016), (Video)
- Phase I Legal Issues: Fair Use, Orphan Works, & Risk Tolerance (August 29, 2016), (Video)
Legal Issues Resources
- About Oral Histories and Other Sound Recordings
- About Orphan Works
- About Permission Documents
- About Local Government Records
- Copyright & Legal Considerations FAQ
- Determining Copyright Ownership
- Fair Use and the California Revealed Project
- Risk Management and the California Revealed Project
For further information, please contact:
Project Manager, California Revealed
California Preservation Program
Library Programs Consultant
California State Library