(Braille & Audio Reading Download)
BARD is a free website where you can download audio and electronic braille books, magazines, and more!
- Absolutely free
- No limit on number of downloads
- Downloads do not need to be returned
- It's OK to have a friend or family member help you download
- Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- You can still get books by mail
- Access to a computer with high-speed internet connection and a valid email address.
- You cannot listen to audio downloads directly from your computer. To listen to audio downloads you need
- To use braille downloads you need
- Braille display, braille-aware notetaker, or braille embosser (see Third Party Player)
- To download books, you must first Sign-Up for BARD
- Once you have submitted your completed application, you will receive an email with further instructions within the next few business days.
*Some tutorials have been compiled by other libraries and include customized instructions or references. These tutorials are meant to be general BARD guides and not step-by-step instructions for our library.
From NLS: BARD Instructions (HTML)
From NLS: BARD FAQ (HTML)
From North Carolina: Digital Book Downloading Tips (HTML, RTF, BRF)
From North Carolina: All About BARD (MP3)
From Minnesota: How to Download and Play a Talking Book from MN BARD using Windows XP (PDF)
From Oregon: Talking Book and Braille Services BARD Information (HTML)back to top
From NLS: BARD Mobile Application User Guide (HTML)
From NLS: BARD Mobile 'How-To Series' (YouTube)
From North Carolina: BARD Mobile (HTML)back to top