The California State Library welcomes your input in improving its website and online services.
Please take our short website survey to let us know how you use the current website, and what you would like to see in a redesigned version. Your comments and feedback will be factored into the new website's design and functionality.
Thank you very much for your time.
Patent and Trademark Resource Center
- Are you curious about patents?
- Would you like to learn about trademarks?
- Would you like some help to get started?
The California State Library has been a United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) designated Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC), originally called a Patent and Trademark Depository Library, since 1979. Library staff can assist with general questions and provide assistance and instruction in the use of patent and trademark resources.
We provide access to the electronic and print patent and trademark resources the USPTO makes available to PTRCs and the public. One example of an electronic resource is PubWEST, an online patent search tool. A print resource is the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure. Print resources are available for use in the library. All PTRC resources are available at no cost.
Please note that staff cannot perform patent or trademark searches for individuals and cannot give legal advice. For legal advice, please contact a registered patent attorney or agent. More specialized questions should be directed to the USPTO.
Do you have an idea or invention that you want to patent? Read up on the basics of the United States patent process and learn how to perform a thorough patent search.
- General Information Concerning Patents
- 7 Step U.S. Patent Search Strategy Guide
- How to Conduct a Preliminary U.S. Patent Search: a Step by Step Strategy (Tutorial Video)
- Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP)
- Search USPTO Patent Full Text and Image Database (PatFT)
- Search USPTO Patent Application Full Text and Image Database (AppFT)
- Search Foreign Patents
Do you want to protect your company name or logo in the United States? Read up on trademark basics and search to see if someone already has trademarked your name or design. Or learn more about trademarking your name in California from the Secretary of State.
- Basic Facts about Trademarks
- Trademark Process
- Watch informative videos on all aspects of the trademark process from the Trademark Information Network
- USPTO Design Search Code Manual
- Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)
How to receive assistance from us
Library staff can be contacted by email at email@example.com or by phone at 916-654-0261, Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding state holidays.
Contacting us by email or phone before visiting us in person is strongly recommended. It is not uncommon for patent and trademark assistance to involve more than a short conversation. If additional time is needed, an option to make an appointment with library staff is available.